Chase IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card Review
2017.11 Update: It seems all 80k links are dead now, there’s only regular 60k link. Here is a landing page for the 80k offer (when you click apply now you will see “offer unavailable”), and you can try to ask for a match after applying.
2017.10 Update: It seems the 100k+5k offer via phone is expired.
2017.9 Update: There’s a 100k+5k offer for a while, but it is targeted. Now DoC has found a way to get the 100k+5k offer over the phone:
- Call 1-888-897-0083 & ask about the Chase IHG card
- The above number is for IHG, they will state they need to transfer you to Chase
- Once transferred they will offer you the 100,000 points after $2,000 in spend
- You apply over the phone
- 60k+5k offer: Get 60k IHG points after $1000 spending in 3 months. Get 5k additional miles after adding an authorized user on your account. The best offer in recent years is 100k+5k.
- IHG points are valued around 0.7 cents (Hotel Points Value). IHG free night award chart can be found here. As a card member, you will also get 10% points reimbursed after redeeming free nights. Taking this into account, the 100k+5k highest offer is worth roughly $819!
- Receive a free night every year after your account renewal anniversary date. It is available for redemption at any IHG property. A great choice is to use it for free night at Intercontinental Hotels.
- Receive 5x points at IHG property. 2x points at dining, supermarket and gas station. All other purchases earn you 1 point per dollar spent.
- Complimentary IHG Platinum Membership. Note that after 2015.6, the sign-up bonus earned by this card doesn’t count towards Elite Qualifying Points for IHG Spire, but the points earned by spending still count.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- Annual fee $49, waived fist year.
- Free night is only valid for one year.
Recommended Application Time
- This card is not affected by the 5/24 rule for now.
- You are not eligible for this sign-up bonus if you received a sign-up bonus on this card within 24 months. Note that what matters here is the time you got the sign-up bonus, not the time you open the account or close the account.
- Don’t apply for more than 2 Chase credit cards within 30 days, or it’s highly likely that you will get rejected.
- We recommend you to apply for this card after you have a credit history for more than a year.
Besides numerous sign-up bonus points, the anniversary free night might be the most attractive reason for keeping this card. You pay only $49 each year but can get a free night at any IHG property which can be valued at more than $300. So, for almost everyone, we strongly recommend keeping this card long term, and paying $49 per year to get the free night.
Recommended Downgrade Options
- You can downgrade it to a IHG card with no annual fee, but you will lose the annual free night certificate. The annual free night certificate is way more valuable than the annual fee, so we recommend to keep this card.
- Call 800-436-7927 to check Chase application status. This is an automated telephone line, and the information has the following meanings: Receive decision in 2 weeks means your application is probably approved; Receive decision in 7-10 days means your application is probably rejected; Receive decision in 30 days simply means your application requires further review and there’s nothing to tell you for now.
- Chase reconsideration backdoor number: 888-270-2127 or 888-609-7805. Call it if you didn’t get approve immediately. Your personal information will be acquired and they will then review it. You seldom answer questions, instead, just enjoy the music and then you get approved or rejected, or further information is needed to be handed in to the branch or be faxed.