Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Plus Card Review
2018.1 Update: The current sign-up bonuses for both Southwest cards are 50k miles after $2000 spending in 3 months.
READ: Open a savings account with Chase bank and get Chase savings account offer of cash bonus right away.
- 50k offer: earn 50,000 miles if you spend at least $2,000 in 3 months.The best offer in recent years is 60k.
- We value SW point at 1.3 cents (Airline Miles Value), so the 60k bonus worth about $780. See A Beginner’s Guide to SW Miles to check for details about SW Miles.
- Earn 2x miles on Southwest. Earn 1 miles per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- After each year anniversary and pay the annual fee, you will be credited 3k SW miles.
- If you have 110k SW miles available in your SW account, you can redeem it for a travel companion certificate which is valid until the end of next year. You can apply for this card and Chase Southwest Premier to accelerate your pace to it. If you apply for the Premier and Plus at the same time at the highest offers (both 60k), then you will get 120k Southwest miles, and that’s already greater than the 110k companion pass requirement!
- Refer a friend (targeted): You can earn 5,000 bonus SW miles for every approved account you refer, up to a maximum of 10 approved referrals (50,000 SW miles) per calendar year.
- Annual fee $69, not waived first year.
- Southwest doesn’t belong to any airline alliance.
- It has foreign transaction fee, so it's not a good choice outside the US.
Recommended Application Time
- [5/24 Rule] If you have 5 or more new accounts opened in the past 24 months, Chase will reject your application for this card.The number of new accounts includes all credit card accounts, not only Chase accounts. Recently some data points have shown that there are exceptions to this rule, but if you really want this card, play it safe and be sure to apply for it as soon as you are eligible. See this post for details.
- This product is available to you if you do not have this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months. Note that what matters here is the time you got the sign-up bonus, not the time you open the account or close the account.
- Don’t apply for more than 2 Chase credit cards within 30 days, or it’s highly likely that you will get rejected.
- We recommend you to apply for this card after you have a credit history for more than a year.
If you fly SW a lot, this card is a good choice. If you open both Chase SW Premier and Chase SW Plus when they have highest 60k bonus, you can directly get 120k SW Miles and the great companion certificate! The first few months in a calendar year is the best time to apply for these SW cards, because the companion certificate will have the longest effective time.
Related Credit Cards
Recommended Downgrade Options
- You can not downgrade this card to any card with no annual fee, so I suggest you close it when you don’t want to keep it any longer.
- Call 800-436-7927 to check Chase application status. This is an automated telephone line, and the information has the following meanings: Receive decision in 2 weeks means your application is probably approved; Receive decision in 7-10 days means your application is probably rejected; Receive decision in 30 days simply means your application requires further review and there’s nothing to tell you for now.
- Chase reconsideration backdoor number: 888-270-2127 or 888-609-7805. Call it if you didn’t get approve immediately. Your personal information will be acquired and they will then review it. You seldom answer questions, instead, just enjoy the music and then you get approved or rejected, or further information is needed to be hand in to the branch or faxed.