Citi AAdvantage Gold MasterCard Review
2017.10 Update: Many readers received a targeted offer via mail. The offer is: earn 55k AA miles after spending $4000 in the first 4 months, and earn another 10k AA miles after spending $6000 in total in the first 12 months. That’s 65k in total. The offer is great, especially there’s no 1/24 language (i.e. American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi AAdvantage card opened or closed in the past 24 months)! Here is a picture of the terms. But still, please read the terms on your own mail to make sure the sentence is not there. This means, it’s highly likely that you can still get this bonus if you got Citi AA Platinum in the past 24 months. If you received this mail and applied, please contribute your data point, thanks in advance!
- Earn 25,000 AAdvantage Miles after spending $750 in first 3 months.
- We value AA Miles at 1.6 cents/point (Airline Miles Value), but you will earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage miles back, which makes 1 mile worth about 1.78 cent for this card. So the 50k sign-up bonus worth about $890! See A Beginner’s Guide to AA Miles to check for details about AA Miles.
- Earn 1 AAdvantage mile per $1 on all purchases.
- 25% savings on eligible in–flight purchases using card.
- $50 annual fee, but waived for the first year.
- It has foreign transaction fee, so it's not a good choice outside the US.
Recommended Application Time
- [8/65 Rule] You can apply for at most 1 Citi cards every 8 days, and at most 2 Citi cards every 65 days, no matter approved or not.
- [New] American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi AAdvantage card (other than a CitiBusiness AAdvantage card) opened or closed in the past 24 months. Product change is treated as account closure.
- Citi values the number of recent hard pulls a lot, we recommend you apply when there’s less than 6 hard pulls in the past 6 months.
- We recommend you apply for this card after you have a credit history of at least one year.
The reward rate is not impressive at all. And after Citi has a new rule that you can only get one bonus from AA in 24 months, getting this card will make you not eligible for the higher bonus of Citi AAdvantage Platinum. In short, just don’t apply for this card!
Related Credit Cards
- Citi AAdvantage Gold (this post)
- Citi AAdvantage Platinum
- Citi AAdvantage Executive
- CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum
- Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red
Recommended Downgrade Options
- Call 888-201-4523 to check Citi application status.
- Citi reconsideration backdoor number: 866-336-7285. This is a so called “Citi EO” (Executive Office) phone number. This phone number is not designed to make reconsiderations, but the representatives are really helpful.