Club Carlson Premier Rewards Visa Signature Credit Card Review
- 85k Sign-Up Bonus: Earn 50,000 Gold Points after first purchase, earn additional 35,000 Gold Points after spending $2,500 in first 3 months.
- We value Club Carlson Gold Points at 0.4 cents/point (See Hotel Points Value), so the 85k sign-up bonus worth about $340. Click here to see how many points are required for a free night.
- Earn 10 Gold Points per $1 spent at participating Carlson Rezidor hotels, 5 Gold Points per $1 spent on other purchases.
- Earn 40,000 Gold Points each year when you renew your card, which worth about $160.
- Earn one free night when you spend $10,000 and renew your card each year.
- Complimentary Club Carlson Gold Elite status.
- $75 annual fees, NOT waived for the first year.
- There are not many Club Carlson Hotels in the U.S. compared to Europe.
- It has foreign transaction fee, so it's not a good choice outside the US.
- If you are approved but not qualified for the Visa Signature card (at least $5,000 credit limit), you will be automatically downgraded to the lower annual fee version, which has worse rewards and sign-up bonus, and it’s pretty much useless. Info about the downgraded version: “Club Carlson Platinum Rewards Visa Card which earns 50,000 Bonus Gold Points after first purchase, plus an additional one-time spend bonus of 10,000 Gold Points after spending at least $1,500 in net purchases on the card within the first 90 days of account opening, earns 25,000 Bonus Gold Points each year upon renewal of the card, earns 6 Gold Points per $1 spent on net purchases at Carlson Rezidor hotels and 3 Gold Points per $1 spent in eligible net purchases everywhere else, and may not offer the same Visa Signature benefits.”
Recommended Application Time
- We recommend you apply for this card after you have a credit history of at least two years and you are sure you know well about the credit card game.
Club Carlson Premier Rewards Visa Signature Credit Card USED TO BE one of the most valuable hotel credit cards, because when you redeem points for multiple consecutive nights, the last night will be free if you have this card. But this card is no longer as valuable as before since this benefit is no longer available after 2015.6.1. If you still see people calling this card a no-brainer choice, they may be outdated. But for those who stay a lot in Club Carlson, or could make use of the anniversary bonus, the Club Carlson Premier Rewards Visa Signature Credit Card is still worth keeping. Except for the devaluation of Club Carlson Gold Points, this card still has two drawbacks: First, there are not many Club Carlson hotels in the U.S., so make sure you can indeed use the Club Carlson Gold Points before applying for this card. Second, it’s difficult to get this card without being downgraded, and sometimes you don’t even know you’re downgraded if you don’t get an instant approval. So we don’t recommend this card to beginners.
Related Credit Cards
- US Bank Club Carlson Rewards
- US Bank Club Carlson Premier Rewards (this post)
Note that these are different products. They don’t affect each other’s sign-up bonus.